Jesus used parables – short stories with hidden messages in his teachings.
Some of the main themes that Jesus taught, which Christians now embrace, include:
- Love God
- Love your neighbor as yourself
- Forgive others who have wronged you
- Love your enemies
- Ask God for forgiveness of your sins
- Jesus is the Messiah and was given the authority to forgive others
- Repentance of sins is essential
- Don’t be hypocritical
- Don’t judge others
- The Kingdom of God is near. It’s not the rich and powerful – but the weak and poor – who will inherit this kingdom
In one of Jesus’s most famous speeches, which became known as the Sermon on the Mount, he summarized many of his moral instructions for his followers.